The South African Nursery Association – SANA is a non-profit organization that was formed in 1947 s to create an association to act as network platform to represent the interests of the green industry.
Today it not only represents the nursery industry as a whole but also represents individual related associations:
- Allied, Bulb & Seed Trade Association – ABSTA
- Bedding Plant Growers Association – BPGA
- Garden Centre Association – GCA
- Growers Association
Promotion of National Nursery Issues:
- Provide a professional national communication link with fellow Nursery business.
- Present a professional image of the Horticultural industry and encourage professional business practices through our Code of Conduct.
- SANA Affiliated membership to AgriSA, Food & Trees for Africa, South African Green Industries Council.
- Liaise with Government departments on issues pertaining to our industry and environmental matters.
- Be at the forefront of social responsibility programmes which promote sound environmental awareness.
- Encourage good labour practices and provide and support educational development.
Promotion of Regional Nursery Matters:
- Provide regional forums for retail, wholesale nurseries and allied suppliers to meet and discuss matters of common interest.
- Assist with regional Trade Days/Fairs whereby growers and other suppliers can exhibit their products and services.
- Regional association meetings to discuss association matters of interest and visits to members’ business.
- SANA Snippets – electronic newsletter
- Bi Annual SANA Magazine – Green Business
- SANA Website
- Minutes of Association meetings
- Notice of matters of national or regional importance e.g. government legislation.
- Convention – annual event that includes AGM. Allows networking opportunities & industry forums.
- Golf Day
- Tours – bus tours are undertaken by the Garden Centre Association & Growers Association
- Trade Fairs – held in Autumn & Spring in Gauteng and in Spring in Bloemfontein.
SANA Education & Training:
- SANA coordinates with other Green Industry organizations to establish qualification standards for horticultural training in association with AgriSETA.
- Maintains communication with Education institutions on industry related matters.
- SANA Bursary Fund that provides bursaries to students studying Horticulture and related courses in the nursery industry.
SANA & Garden Centre Association Matters:
- Linked to the International Garden Centre Association (IGCA) and promotes their events.
- Garden Centre Competition that encourages and awards industry professional standards.
- Regional GCA promotions.
- SANA Supplier competition that is set to be a valuable marketing tool to suppliers and is regional based to increase exposure to all suppliers.
- ‘Life is a Garden’ – National campaigns to promote the benefits of gardening to the consumer public.
- Regional promotions coordinated with retail nurseries, wholesale growers and charity organizations.
- Business branding of your business/products to fellow SANA members at SANA events via the SANA Sponsorship programme.